Friday, October 05, 2012

Bike Adek

For someone who spent 30 years of her life not owning nor riding a bicycle, I'm a bit flabbergasted?flummoxed? to suddenly own two.

A couple of years ago, I got a folding bike for commuting, being the self-proclaimed environmentalist that I am. Spent 2 years fantasizing about it first before my sister said to stop dreaming and get one already. Then spent another year learning to ride my bike around town before taking the plunge and riding it to work on a regular basis.

I love every single ride on my foldie. It also made me want to go bike camping. So I started dreaming again. And I read about this couple from The Path Less Pedaled who went on a cross country bike tour on Bromptons (drool). However, owing to the fact that none of my camping friends owned folding bikes, I never went on a bike tour. Plus, I couldn't really go on bike trails with my folding bike. And I wanted to.

So I started dreaming again. This time of mountain bikes. This past year. Which I mentioned to my friend who had 3 bikes and had a partner who had six. She pm'ed the other day that she's getting a mountain bike for a friend for dirt cheap considering the bike specs, and that I'd better prepare a whole stash of cold hard cash because she's not going to let this opportunity of getting that particular model for cheap pass me by. She even picked it up at the warehouse for me.

So now I have a kick-ass mountain bike. I've named it Tanding, short for butanding. It's huge and it's blue. And it intimidates me with its size and complexity every single time I hop on it. I know next to nothing about it - its parts, the uses, the features - but it seems friendly enough and hasn't thrown me off just yet. 

By contrast, my old silver foldie is now named Tilapia, having taken on an identity by comparison to Tanding. Tilapia is comfortable. It's my everyday bike, my going-to-the-market one, do-errands-next-town one.

Tanding is adventure waiting to happen. Which hopefully will.

Oh yeah, now I'm also flat broke and in debt. Haha!

No comments: